Monday, October 24, 2011

The power of a symbol

I've been married to my beloved for almost three months now...ages I know.  It feels as though I've known her my entire life, wait that's true, and I feel as though I've loved her just as long, wait still pretty true, and I can't wait to spend the next 80+ years figuring out how to love her even better!  I know that there will be rough times lasting a day, month, even year-we all go through storms-but I also know that the Sun never fails to come back.    I recently joined a photography group where there is a weekly assignment to challenge our skills and force us to think creatively.  The latest one was shooting a subject by candlelight, and while my submission wasn't the most creative or complex, to me it meant far more than a simple picture.  Allow me to share my thoughts...


I realize that not everyone who is married wears wedding bands.  I'm not here to promote or fight that...I do believe however that every married couple carries symbols in their life that physically represent the commitment they've made to each other.  In my life, these rings are one of the most basic and permanent symbols of Kayla and I's commitment and love.  The rings stay with us always and are not easily removed...in my case the ring is a certain metal that is near impossible to cut off...so it really doesn't go anywhere!  These were lit with just two candles and when I look at this I see God's spirit illuminating and keeping us throughout our lives.  Without Him, we are in complete darkness and certainly won't shine or sparkle!  His light brings out that internal beauty and is what keeps us and will keep us.  Sure, there will be times when the love might dull down a bit but it will never be in complete darkness because that light will never fade.  The thought that I want to leave with you this week is this...what symbols have you put in place to remind you and your spouse of the commitment you've made to each other?  Do they need some more of God''s light, do they need a little shining up, or maybe both?  Take a minute to remind yourself and your spouse of that commitment and pray that God sheds just a tad more light on it.  Have a great week!

-Tim

3 comments:

  1. Very moving image and dialoge Tim...thanks for sharing. I very much enjoyed reading the thoughts behind your image. Keep up the good work.
    Tanya Jacobson-Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely thoughts, Tim. Happy almost-three-months anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete